Saturday, October 16, 2010

Were where you born, man?

I grew up between 2 pretty high mountains in Southern California.  Banning is at 2,543 feet in between San Gorgonio Mountain at 11,503 feet and San Jacinto Mountain at 10,833 feet.  This creates a cozy feeling and quite a breeze in the evenings.
Banning, sits in this pass area and serves as a funnel for everyone from the Los Angeles basin who wants to get to the desert.
Home in the pass area.  The two mountains are pinned to show how steep they looked from my backyard.

This NASA shot shows Home relative to the Southern California population
This is a picture with terrain of the pass are with the peaks identified.

We also sit pretty close to the San Andreas Fault line.  It made for some startling events during my childhood.  Earthquakes are something you get used to when they just shake you a bit.
This shot from Geology.com shows the San Andreas Fault passing close to my home.

1 comment:

  1. Really great use of GE. My folks live in DHS and my dad keeps an airplane in Banning. Great descriptions.

    ReplyDelete