Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Module V Response

Essential Question: How are climate, cultures and oceans all connected? 
3 Questions
  • 1. Explain: What new learning or reflections have you taken from this module?
Certainly the concept that the Coriolis Force doesn’t impact how water spins down a drain was quite interesting.  I have taught this incorrectly many times.  I talked about it at lunch and another science teacher who tested it in South America and she was not quick to give up the idea either.  She thought it controlled the spinning just like I had and her tests bore it out so we had a good chance to explore it completely.
The idea of the ocean’s conveyor belt is new to me.  I knew about ocean currents but the impact of the fresh water influx is very interesting.  I struggle with the differing “facts” that I hear about the causes and impacts of global warming.  I am sure that I could put many more hours into research and still not be informed since it seems that the experts are not all in agreement about the specifics of how the scenario will play out.  

  • 2. Extend: How might you use this week’ information and resources in your lessons?
I am excited about the directions that I can send kids when it is time to do a project.  Even if that project is about something different, the connections between these forces and world-wide impacts of warming are a great lesson in how all things are connected.  I often want the kids to get at the bigger picture and struggle with that.  My students tend to focus on the task or topic at hand and miss the relevance to other issues.  With these resources addressing connectedness, maybe my students will be able to see themselves in this picture and learn a bit more about their citizenship on planet earth.

  • 3. Evaluate: How useful, insightful or relevant are this module’s information and resources?
The videos about earth’s seasons (What Causes Earth’s Seasons and Seasons on Earth) are wonderful resources to have at my fingertips.  Teacher Direct is awesome.  Being able to download many of them makes it so much for useful.  I can build a library of videos and sort them into folders for subjects and subfolders for sections of my curriculum.  So much more useful in class than streaming, even though streaming is so much better than nothing.
3 Colleagues
Alison posted a great image about the conveyor belt.  I like how it is very clear.  A great follow up to the conveyer belt video the students to reference.

Tyler's discussion and link to the Beachcomber's Alert article were great.  I would have thought the currents that support the garbage patch would have drawn all of the toys into its mass long ago.  It is pretty neat that they are still finding these toys.  I'll keep my eyes open on Kodiak for them.

Matt's discussion about water's properties and how it absorbs heat is wonderful.  The resource behind his image for water's absorption of heat is a terrific representation of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment